Volunteer Role: Gardening Volunteer (Islington)
Purpose of the Role:
We are looking for an enthusiastic volunteer to assist with gardening at our Islington service, which supports adults with learning disabilities. We have 4 male residents with a large communal garden, who would love to cultivate the space and grow produce. You will not only provide a befriending service to the residents but a welcoming and sustainable area for all in the service to enjoy. Our Islington service loves to come together to share meals, and to enjoy festivities together, so you will be joining a lively and positive environment.
- Plan sessions and arrange collection of materials with service (service will cover material costs)
- Befriend and support the residents to cultivate the communal garden, considering the most appropriate way to support and to communicate with them.
Please note that volunteers will never be asked to assist with personal care, administering medication, or finances.
Skills, Attitudes and Experience
- You are friendly and have strong interpersonal skills
- You are passionate about making a difference in the lives of older people, people with learning disabilities, and/or people with autism spectrum disorder
- You are patient, empathetic, and open-minded
- You are organised and can work independently
- You take initiative and manage your workload
- You are reliable and punctual
- You are a strong communicator
- Meet different kinds of people and make new friends
- Gain experience for your placement and resume
- Receive support from the Volunteer Team and an assigned supervisor
- Become part of a community of staff and volunteers who are passionate about making a difference
- Receive references for future opportunities
- Receive reimbursement for reasonable out of pocket expenses
- Meet new people
- Be invited to volunteer events
- Additional training to help you grow in your role
- Covered by Outward’s insurance policy
- Any day
Before commencing your role, you will be required to complete the following training:
- Volunteer Training Session
- Equality and Diversity, Safeguarding Adults, Fire Safety, Health and Safety, Learning Disabilities
- Service Induction
- Please complete our online application form by clicking HERE. You may be asked to attend an informal group or individual interview and info session
- If you are selected for a volunteer role, you will be required to undergo a DBS check, submit two references, and complete the abovementioned mandatory training before you can start your role.
If there is any way that we can make the application process or the volunteer role more accessible for you, please do not hesitate to let us know. We will be happy to make any accommodations we can for you.