Everyone deserves a holiday
Give someone with a learning disability or autism the chance to have a holiday, meet friends, try new things and experience the countryside.
We run monthly short breaks for people with a learning disability or autism at our countryside holiday complex in East Sussex and we fundraise to help those who really need break but have no access to funds.
People with a learning disability already face extreme levels of social isolation and loneliness; they are seven times more likely to feel lonely than the general population and the recent coronavirus crisis only exacerbated this. The closure of day services, loss of routine, difficulties staying in touch with family and keeping active means that they are struggling to cope, and we know from our work that it’s having a negative impact on their well-being, health and mental health. Our breaks provide a significant respite from loneliness and isolation and give families, who have been caring for their loved ones with disabilities a desperately needed break from caring duties.
All donations are used to part, or fully subside a break for a person really in need.
Everyone deserves a holiday. Holidays give us all a chance to get away from the day-to-day stresses of life, recharge the batteries, meet new people and have new experiences.
Feedback from families
Our breaks really can make a significant difference to someone’s mental well-being as can be seen from feedback from recent guests and guests families:
- “Thanks again for giving Max such a tremendous holiday. He came back so animated and happy. It was brilliant to see as he is generally very shy and anxious, particularly after lockdown. I am sure it has done wonders for his confidence and self-esteem and has given us so much confidence too!” – Parent
- “Wow you have such an amazing place, Nutley Edge is so secure, so safe and setting in a really beautiful setting. V has been so happy since she has been going to Nutley Edge and really enjoys going. The Themed Activities for the young people are amazing and really well thought out and plan. Nutley Edge is very person centred planning and every member of staff always puts the young person first. All the staff are amazing and V is so happy with all the staff and we are so happy to see V happy. V always enjoys the activities and I know she especially enjoys going shopping and to the Seaside. The staff at Nutley Edge always give us feedback about what V has done. Medication is given to V to, by the staff, as well as her care. We are so happy and very confident with everyone and everything at Nutley Edge and are so pleased with the care V receives.” – Parent
Feedback from our Guests
- “I had a lovely time, I feel warm here and the staff are lovely” – Isaac
- “I had a good time and met new people, I want to come back here as it’s nice, quiet and comfortable” – Jacqueline
- “Good to be away from home, Nutley Edge makes me feel very confident” – Trevor
- “Nutley Edge is the best holiday for me” – Munni
- “I enjoyed myself, that’s what Nutley Edge is all about. We have fun, we have a laugh and get to do activities. I like doing the karaoke.” – Vinny
How you can donate
We would love to be able to offer many more subsidised holidays across the year but can only do from fundraised income and donations. Any donations or funds raised will really make a big difference.
You can donate through our JustGiving page. Any amount you can give will really make a difference.
Other ways to give
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if your company would like to partner with our charity Outward who organise these breaks.
You could start your own event, challenge or fundraiser in order to help us raise funds for this cause. Just go to Outward’s JustGiving page and select the ‘Fundraise for us’ option.