Volunteer Role: Gardening Volunteer (Enfield)
Purpose of the Role:
We are looking for a volunteer to assist with gardening support in one of our Enfield services, which supports elderly people with learning disabilities. One of our residents is a keen gardener who frequently visits garden centres, and he would love to spend a few hours with a volunteer planting bulbs and cultivating the communal garden. You will not only provide a befriending service to the gentleman but a welcoming and sustainable area for all in the service to enjoy.
- Plan sessions and arrange collection of materials with service (service will cover material costs)
- Befriend and support the gentleman to cultivate the communal garden, considering the most appropriate way to support him and to communicate with him.
Please note that volunteers will never be asked to assist with personal care, administering medication, or finances.
Skills, Attitudes and Experience
- You are friendly and have strong interpersonal skills
- You are passionate about making a difference in the lives of older people, people with learning disabilities, and/or people with autism spectrum disorder
- You are patient, empathetic, and open-minded
- You are organised and can work independently
- You take initiative and manage your workload
- You are reliable and punctual
- You are a strong communicator
- Meet different kinds of people and make new friends
- Gain experience for your placement and resume
- Receive support from the Volunteer Team and an assigned supervisor
- Become part of a community of staff and volunteers who are passionate about making a difference
- Receive references for future opportunities
- Receive reimbursement for reasonable out of pocket expenses
- Meet new people
- Be invited to volunteer events
- Additional training to help you grow in your role
- Covered by Outward’s insurance policy
- Any day
Before commencing your role, you will be required to complete the following training:
- Volunteer Training Session
- Equality and Diversity, Safeguarding Adults, Fire Safety, Health and Safety, Learning Disabilities
- Service Induction
- Please complete our online application form by clicking HERE. You may be asked to attend an informal group or individual interview and info session
- If you are selected for a volunteer role, you will be required to undergo a DBS check, submit two references, and complete the abovementioned mandatory training before you can start your role.
If there is any way that we can make the application process or the volunteer role more accessible for you, please do not hesitate to let us know. We will be happy to make any accommodations we can for you.