Purpose of the Role
We are looking for a volunteer to help develop, create, and maintain a sensory garden for one of our services based in Hackney (E8).
The residents of this service all have Profound and Multiple Learning Disabilities (PMLD). As a new service, you would help us to provide a stimulating space that our residents can enjoy, contributing to their overall wellbeing.
- Look after the plants and maintain the garden
- Cut a small patch of grass
- Ensure the bird feeders and baths are maintained
- Plan sensory activities for the people we support in the garden (optional)
- Interact with people we support who are being assisted to contribute to the garden by our staff
Please note that volunteers should never assist with personal care, administering medication, or finances.
Skills, Attitudes and Experience
- You have a strong knowledge of gardening
- You have some experience in garden design
- You are creative
- Experience with people who are non-verbal or who have autism is an asset
- You are able to plan activities ahead of time
- You are friendly and have strong interpersonal skills
- You are passionate about making a difference in the lives of people with learning disabilities
- You are patient, empathetic, and open-minded
- You are organised and can work independently
- You take initiative and manage your workload
- You are reliable and punctual
- You are a strong communicator
- Meet different kinds of people and make new friends
- Receive support from the Volunteer Team and an assigned supervisor
- Become part of a community of staff and volunteers who are passionate about making a difference
- Receive references for future opportunities and build your CV
- Receive reimbursement for reasonable out of pocket expenses
- Be invited to volunteer events
- Additional training to help you grow in your role
- Covered by Outward’s insurance policy
- Hackney (E8)
- We encourage you to commit to a minimum of three months for this role
- Shifts would take place from 10am – 12pm on Thursdays.
- Desired start date would be July 1st, 2021.
Before commencing your role, you will be required to complete the following training:
- Volunteer Training Session (approximately 2 hours)
- Online Training Courses: Safeguarding, Care and Confidentiality, Fire Safety, Health and Safety, Equality and Diversity
- Service Inductions
- Please complete our online application form by clicking apply below.
- You may be asked to attend an informal group or individual interview and info session
- If you are selected for a volunteer role, you will be required to undergo a DBS check, submit two references, and complete the abovementioned mandatory training before you can start your role.
If there is any way that we can make the application process or the volunteer role more accessible for you, please do not hesitate to let us know. We will be happy to make any accommodations we can for you.