Purpose of the Role
We are looking for a volunteer to spend a few hours a week gardening with people we support in a service in Islington (N7).
As a gardening assistant, you will provide support and companionship to people with learning disabilities and play a vital role in reducing social isolation, increasing their confidence, improving their quality of life, and sharing new skills.
- To oversee the maintenance of the garden at the service
- To help people we support learn about caring for a garden
- Providing companionship and friendship to the people we support
- Helping your match rediscover social skill and confidence
Please note that volunteers should never assist with personal care, administering medication, or finances.
Skills, Attitudes and Experience
- You have a strong knowledge of gardening
- You are confident sharing skills
- You are able to plan activities ahead of time
- You are friendly and have strong interpersonal skills
- You are passionate about making a difference in the lives of people with learning disabilities
- You are patient, empathetic, and open-minded
- You are organised and can work independently
- You take initiative and manage your workload
- You are reliable and punctual
- You are a strong communicator
- Meet different kinds of people and make new friends
- Receive support from the Volunteer Team and an assigned supervisor
- Become part of a community of staff and volunteers who are passionate about making a difference
- Receive references for future opportunities and build your CV
- Receive reimbursement for reasonable out of pocket expenses
- Be invited to volunteer events
- Additional training to help you grow in your role
- Covered by Outward’s insurance policy
- We encourage you to commit to a minimum of four months as a volunteer to optimise the experience for the people we support
- 2-3 hours a week on Monday afternoons or Friday mornings (or both)
Before commencing your role, you will be required to complete the following training:
- Volunteer Training Session (approximately 2 hours)
- Online Training Courses: Safeguarding, Care and Confidentiality, Fire Safety, Health and Safety, Equality and Diversity
- Service Inductions
- Please complete our online application form by clicking ‘apply’ below.
- You may be asked to attend an informal group or individual interview and info session
- If you are selected for a volunteer role, you will be required to undergo a DBS check, submit two references, and complete the abovementioned mandatory training before you can start your role.
If there is any way that we can make the application process or the volunteer role more accessible for you, please do not hesitate to let us know. We will be happy to make any accommodations we can for you.