Purpose of the Role
We support a friendly and outgoing middle-aged man with learning disabilities who is looking for a befriender to take him to a church service on Sundays in Leyton (E10).
As a befriender, you will provide support and companionship, playing a vital role in reducing social isolation for your match, increasing their confidence, and improving their quality of life.
To assist our services users to meet their support needs, including:
- Collecting your match from their home and accompany them to and from the church service
- Providing companionship and friendship
- Providing information and assistance to your match to enable them to make choices about the development of their social network and participation in their local community
- Helping your match rediscover social skill and confidence by building up and maintaining a close relationship
Please note that befrienders should never assist with personal care, administering medication, or finances.
Skills, Attitudes and Experience
- You are friendly and have strong interpersonal skills
- You are passionate about making a difference in the lives of people with learning disabilities
- You are patient, empathetic, and open-minded
- You are organised and can work independently
- You take initiative and manage your workload
- You are reliable and punctual
- You are a strong communicator
- Meet different kinds of people and make new friends
- Receive support from the Volunteer Team and an assigned supervisor
- Become part of a community of staff and volunteers who are passionate about making a difference
- Receive references for future opportunities and build your CV
- Receive reimbursement for reasonable out of pocket expenses
- Be invited to volunteer events
- Additional training to help you grow in your role
- Covered by Outward’s insurance policy
- We encourage you to commit to a minimum of four months as a befriender to optimise the experience for your match
- Sundays from 10am-2pm
Before commencing your role, you will be required to complete the following training:
- Volunteer Training Session (approximately 2 hours)
- Online Training Courses: Safeguarding, Care and Confidentiality, Fire Safety, Health and Safety, Equality and Diversity
- Service Inductions
- Please complete our online application form by clicking ‘apply’ below.
- You may be asked to attend an informal group or individual interview and info session
- If you are selected for a volunteer role, you will be required to undergo a DBS check, submit two references, and complete the abovementioned mandatory training before you can start your role.
If there is any way that we can make the application process or the volunteer role more accessible for you, please do not hesitate to let us know. We will be happy to make any accommodations we can for you.