Purpose of the Role:
We are looking for a volunteer with a pet (ideally a dog) to visit one of our support and care schemes in Hackney (E8) which provides support to adults with Profound Multiple Learning Disabilities. We would like the volunteer to offer a befriending service in the presence of a pet, to enable a level of therapy to the people we support.
As a high needs service, you would help us to provide a stimulating space that our residents can enjoy and contribute to their overall wellbeing.
- Attend the service, accompanied by a suitable pet to provide a befriending service to the residents
- Take responsibility of the pet when on the premises.
Please note that volunteers should never assist with personal care, administering medication, or finances.
Skills, Attitudes and Experience
- You have a good awareness of how to engage your pet with strangers.
- You are friendly and have strong interpersonal skills
- You are passionate about making a difference in the lives of people with learning disabilities
- You are patient, empathetic, and open-minded
- You are organised and can work independently
- You take initiative and manage your workload
- You are reliable and punctual
- You are a strong communicator
- Meet different kinds of people and make new friends
- Receive support from the Volunteer Team and an assigned supervisor
- Become part of a community of staff and volunteers who are passionate about making a difference
- Receive references for future opportunities and build your CV
- Receive reimbursement for reasonable out of pocket expenses
- Be invited to volunteer events
- Additional training to help you grow in your role
- Covered by Outward’s insurance policy
- Hackney (E8)
- We encourage you to commit to a minimum of three months for this role
Before commencing your role, you will be required to complete the following training:
- Volunteer Training Session (approximately 2 hours)
- Online Training Courses: Safeguarding, Care and Confidentiality, Fire Safety, Health and Safety, Equality and Diversity
- Service Inductions
- Please complete our online application form by clicking HERE.
- You may be asked to attend an informal group or individual interview and info session
- If you are selected for a volunteer role, you will be required to undergo a DBS check, submit two references, and complete the abovementioned mandatory training before you can start your role.
If there is any way that we can make the application process or the volunteer role more accessible for you, please do not hesitate to let us know. We will be happy to make any accommodations we can for you.